I set this site up for a client a few months ago & all has worked fine for them. Recently, they allowed some one else to play around with the admin. Subsequently, customers have not been able to download files, receiving an error message as illustrated in attachment 002.
I have checked paths & gone over site & store config several times,as well as confirming the files are in the correct directory on the server.
It's probably something very simple that I've missed,but I'm stumped. Would appreciate your help.
I was sure I wrote you back. Now I can't find my response. Here's the news:
I found someone had set the option in the Store->Downloads tab "Encode Filenames" to "Yes". But the filenames were not encoded. This can only be set when you are starting out so that filenames get encoded as they are attached to tracks.
I turned that off and was able to make a purchase (using PayPal sandbox) and download the file. You will see my order 1015, Confirmed, and it shows I downloaded 1-bye-baby.mp3.
If any tracks have been made since that was changed, they will be encoded and must be redone. Or you can set the store to "Encode Filenames" but you will have to redo the tracks that are not encoded.